Saturday, April 26, 2014

Porsche Driving Experience on the Yas Marina F1 Circuit

I've graduated to an Intermediate Level driver with the Porsche Club's Porsche Driving Experience! On March 7, I did my second drive on the Yas Marina Circuit Formula One track here in Abu Dhabi. It's a very well organized non-race with the lead car controlling the 3 car pack's speed. With each lap, the car behind the lead drops pack into 4th position to give everyone an opportunity to try to keep up with the leader. The drive consists of two, 1 hour sessions on the track. There's an hour of down time in between to let the more experienced drivers use the track without us beginners getting in the way. As an Intermediate driver, my next race will have the speeds increased dramatically and a helmet will become mandatory.

I recently purchased the RaceLogic in-car video camera and data recording system. I probably should have read the instructions before using it for the first time. The GPS signal was weak and I lose locational abilities on several parts of the track, probably because I mounted the antennae incorrectly. And next time, I'll mount the microphone so it doesn't slide around and make the annoying noises you hear as I enter the corners. The system allows for customization of the screen, so there's yet another something for me to work on before next time.

Good fun comes at a price. My tires and brakes weren't in great condition before the drive and now, they're completely shot. Need to spend some time getting the car in shape for the next race.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment